‘Ello me old chinas,
Well it’s a rum old time at the moment in the UK, I must say. What with Brexit, Covid and the freezing temps it’s ruddy taters out there. Cor blimey, at least some of are getting a bit of rest while the country’s gone ding dong.
I think lockdown is getting to me.
While I try and Ctrl Alt Del my addled brain, I thought I’d share a few of the things that I’m doing to try and keep my spirits up during this latest lockdown. I can’t say that I’m finding this lockdown easy but I’m trying to stay optimistic…
I’ve created a quick list of the shows that make me laugh and remind me that all will be ok again soon-ish-ish. I’ve added a teeny synopsis for anyone who hasn’t seen any of them…
What I’ve been watching
- Victoria Wood As Seen On TV: The Queen of observational, character-driven comedy.
- Blackadder 2,3 & 4: Divine nastiness and knife-sharp lines. Those of us who love Blackadder, REALLY love it. Genius stuff.
- Upstart Crow: Blackadder goes to see Mr. Shakespeare. Daftly funny.
- Morecambe & Wise: Frankly, I shouldn’t have to explain this one. Also, Eric Morecambe is still a Love God of epic proportions as far as I’m concerned.
- French & Saunders: Two of the pioneers of women in comedy. Bonkers, hilarious, and brilliant.
- Gimme Gimme Gimme: Giggle-snortingly filthy and stars Kathy Burke and James Dreyfus (need I say more?)
- Absolutely Fabulous: Two women of a certain age behaving very badly indeed. Pure Heaven.
- All Creatures Great & Small (the original TV show): Homely, funny, unflinchingly anatomical retellings of the bizarre world of vets in Yorkshire back in the day.
- Laurel & Hardy: Kings of slapstick and the look to camera way before Miss Waller-Bridge came along. Obviously VERY old-fashioned in many ways but blissful.
Well, I hope that’s given you some inspiration to dig out some classic comedy. If you need me, I’ll be up the apples and pears watching Laurel & Hardy on me dog and bone. (Looks like ctrl alt del wasn’t quite enough. Full restart now inevitable).